Sunday, March 6, 2011

Supply Plumbing

Today  I worked on the hot and cold water lines.

Here are the pieces I cut last night.  They are for the tub and shower valves.

All shined up.  You have to sand all the corrosion off.

Now fluxed and assembled.  The flux chemically cleans the copper.

And soldered.

Here I have assembled some of those bits onto the valve and mounted it for the bathtub.  Nearly everything away from the valve is temporarily assembled ("dry fit").  You want to make sure everything fits together before you start soldering.

Notice the clever re-use of the old closet shelves!

Here are a few of the array of fittings I assembled for the job.  Many will go back to the store; I didn't know exactly what I would need.


I spent the afternoon dry-fitting the hot and cold water supplies in the basement.  Doesn't it look all tidy?



Everything is 3/4" pipe until the last branch to the fixture (which is 1/2"), and I did what I could to avoid turns.  Mummy can explain the mathematics of fluid dynamics.  I'll just tell you that it helps keep the water pressure from dropping at one tap when another is in use.  Helps.  We are still limited by the 3/4" line that comes into the house.  It encourages you to conserve water anyway, and we are lucky to have high water pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment