Sunday, February 27, 2011

Another Quick Sunday

Where do the Sundays go?  Just when I feel like I am getting traction the weekend is over.  Or at least it is time to prepare for normal life by cleaning up, buying some groceries, and getting some much needed rest.

I am keeping this post short because I do not want to drag myself through this week like the last one.  Of course last week I was fighting a head cold and this week I am not.  It should be a good week.  It will be a good week.

I have not sweated the first coupling yet.  I thought about doing a few prep pieces just so I could say I started.  I am still grappling a three dimensional jigsaw puzzle made of wood, copper, and PVC.  Actually, it isn't a jigsaw puzzle: it is one of those mind-benders they sell over at The Kaleidoscope Store.  I am very close.  I have the fittings for the copper laid out and have started drilling holes.  I have most of the DWV fittings laid out, too, but I am missing a key one that Home Depot does not sell plus at least one other I discovered I needed 1 minute after returning from Home Deport.  I'll try Handy tomorrow.  They are more likely to have an oddball fitting.

Home Depot was a lesson in volume production and volume pricing.  Compare these two fittings:
3/4 in. Copper Pressure Cup x MIPT Male Adapter1/2 in. Copper Ftg x MIPT Fitting Adapter
The pictures are for two different sizes, but the ones I was looking at were exactly the same except for the smooth portion.  The one on the left is made to fit onto a 1/2" pipe.  That is a pretty common thing: I need four of them for the shower mixer control.  They sell for 0.98 each.  The one on the right is made to fit inside another 1/2" fitting, such as an elbow. That must be a less common need, because Home Depot charges 4.98 each for them.  Five times the price!

An hour of vacuuming tonight took care of the worst of the grit and dust problem.  It was pretty grim to walk around in our house for the last week.

1 comment:

  1. You're such a champion!
    Rah! Rah! Rah! Just don't ask me to fling around pompoms.

    We love you.

    ReplyDelete